Duplicat's Diary

The waiting continues...
by Rick at 05:08:17, 2019-05-02 (day 1824)

We are close with all the jobs we need to do before heading off. In truth, we can always add more to the list - but what we have is sufficient. The bits that we control are dealt with.

Its the bits we cant control which are the problem! The weather is playing games with us, and we are slightly disadvantaged by the requirement to provide 48 hours notice of departure. This means that our 5 day weather window, which will take us almost all the way to New Caledonia, shrinks by 2 days. In our case, it shrank a bit further for ‘operational reasons’ - a cruise ship meant no yacht clearance on Saturday. So we had to make the call on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

This issue is that with the weather patterns just south of here. They are alternating between nice N/NW/W/S winds to get us off the coast, to E winds as we get about 500nm out - giving us nearly 300nm to beat to get into New Cal. Going further south gives a better angle, but more ‘lull’ to cross.

So with much disappointment all round, I broke the news to Ania that we’d have to wait, possibly another week. Much frustration - as both of us want to be in the tropics, with clear water, trade winds and diving (me) and surfing (Ania). Its especially hard if you’re not using to relaxing on the boat waiting for passage weather. However, its entirely predictable that we will have a number of false starts due to weather windows closing in the last few hours. We’re keen to take any opportunity we can, but also keen not to get stuck bashing upwind for days. So for any weather window we see, we want to be ready to jump on it - we’re sat here likely permanently wound springs...

..and we can’t unwind just yet....